Friday, June 11, 2010

Critical Reflection on Portfolios

A portfolio can be a useful resource for many people, not just teachers and students. However, in regards to use in an educational setting, I am fully supportive. Keeping an up-to-date portfolio can help a teacher track their progress in the profession. This is where I believe I will enjoy its' utility the most. I will be able to not only display my work for others to have an objective view, but also will be able to use it to look at my own work critically. Additionally, the use of portfolios in the classroom will enable me, as a teacher, to teach valuable technology skills to my students, while also providing them with feedback on their own growth. This is valuable.

3 comments:

  1. Totally agree with your last point. I think in many academic areas, portfolios are a better assessment tool than regular tests since they provide more direct and specific feedback.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that exposure to new experiences is a great way for students to learn. Your point about using digital portfolios to teach technology is great one. Our students need to be using technology, not just watching us use it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also like your point of using the creation of a digital portfolio to teach students technology! I agree with you that the portfolio's use depends on the point of view...could be an assessment tool or a critical lens to edit yourself.

    ReplyDelete